- Drink Pre-Workout
- Get ready for the gym
- The school gym opens at 6:00am, which for many college students is way early! However I'm a morning person and it's my favorite time to go because there are usually only around 10 people there. In the afternoon there is way more crowding and more waiting around.
- After my workout I always drink a protein shake. I'm currently using IsoTech 100% Whey in Vanilla Milkshake, the taste is delicious!
- *For now I lift in the mornings but as my competition grows closer and I up my cardio, I will start doing cardio in the mornings and lift later in the day.
- My breakfast everyday consists of oats, peanut butter, and egg whites. I love to add fruit into my oats and have been on a blueberry kick lately, they are also low on the GI (glycemic index) as compared to other fruits.
- During this time I also shower and make myself look presentable for class. I think it is always important to show up to class in something other than ratty sweatpants and an old t-shirt but rather something that shows I am completely there and ready to learn, not ready to watch 8 hours of T.V. on the couch.
- Thinking about food/working out/competition 60% of the time. Thinking about class the other 40%.
- When I first started eating 6 meals per day, I couldn't quite get over the fact that I was going to be eating chicken and asparagus at 10 in the morning. Now I view it as an early lunch and don't think anything of it!
- My second meal of the day usually consists of protein (chicken/ground turkey), carbs (brown rice or sweet potato), veggies (asparagus/cauliflower/kale/broccoli), and a healthy fat (avocado).
- I like to dedicate the middle of my days between classes to get caught up on homework and to complete my assigned homework for the day or for the next day. This makes my nights way less hectic and allow me to fill my time with focus on schoolwork.
- Research can include anything that interests me in regards to health, fitness, and nutrition. It seems like everyday I learn something new and I love learning more about the industry.
- Oh yay! Food again! This meal I like to place a big emphasis on veggies because I sometimes have trouble actually eating all of hmy veggies throughout the day.
- This meal consists of protein (chicken/tuna), carbs (rice cake/brown rice/black beans), veggies (salad of some type), and a healthy fat (olive oil, hardboiled egg with yolk).
3:15---> Quick Snack
- This one is all about getting more protein. It consists of either a protein shake or a Quest bar. The Quest Bar only if I have them or if I am craving chocolate/ something sweet.
- This one is great before class since it is so quick and I can take it with me if I am running late.
- I love to be engaged in class but of course you can't control when your mind starts drifting to other things such as lifting and of course food.
- This meal consists of protein and lots and lots of veggies. On nights when I have a large chunk of time I will make Mahi Mahi (I use it in place of Tilapia) in the oven.
- Most often I will enjoy Chicken and lately I have been loving artichokes or cooked spinach.
- "Practice makes perfect!" For most competitors, posing is an after thought that they decide to start working on with one or two weeks left before the show. These are the competitors that end up looking awkward and confused on stage.
- Each day I like to spend at least 15 minutes holding my poses and making sure they look natural and become second nature to me, this way when I am up on stage I am going to be presenting myself in the most confident way possible.
- We have now transitioned into practicing posing in our bikini's for team practice.
- Since it is hard for me to squeeze in my cardio session in the mornings, it is just easier to come at night. However, it always makes me wish I had time in the mornings because talk about an overcrowded gym at night time!
- I like to do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio because you are able to do more work in shorter periods of time while at the same time maintaining more lean mass than steady state cardio. Example: On elliptical 30 seconds (max effort) at 15 resistance and 10 ramp. 1 minute 30 seconds (recovery) at 7 resistance and 10 ramp.
- I always make sure to stretch and potentially foam roll at the end of cardio sessions in order to speed recovery and help my muscles cool down.
- This is just a small meal and includes either egg whites or a protein shake. It ensures that I am not going to bed hungry and gives my body enough protein for the day.
- Rest is the most important factor in the recovery process. Making sure that I am getting enough sleep ensures that my muscles are taking full advantage of this rest period.
- Getting enough sleep also ensures I am a productive member of society the next day and I'm not walking around like a zombie.
- Finally, I know that when I get enough sleep I am going to be ready to get out of bed the next morning and be ready to crush my next workout! I am already a morning person but having enough sleep and feeling rested makes me even more excited to get out of bed and ready to start my day.
I love having a routine and being able to structure my prep around my class schedule works great for me. In my next post I want to talk about the challenges that come with prepping for a competition.